Wow, you are writing Chinese Spring Couplets!
When it comes to the eve of the Chinese Lunar New Year, I always have my students write blessing characters on the diamond-shaped red paper for the decoration of the Spring Festival. You can call it couplets or 春聯 “Chūnlián” in Chinese
It’s difficult to write characters with brush and ink in the beginning. When the students get the hang of it, they find it interesting, relaxing and calming, because it takes a lot of concentration and patience to complete one character, like meditation, takes people out from the real world.These spring couplets are not only for the Chinese New Year decorations but also for scaring away the evil spirits and ghosts in the old times. Nowadays they are more for the blessings. For beginners, we will write characters like,
福fú:happiness and wealth
春chūn: spring, good luck of romance、
大dà
吉jí 大dà 利lì
: Great fortune and great favor!
恭gōng 喜xǐ 發fā 財cái: Wishing you happiness and prosperity
Nowadays, most people buy printed couplets, because it requires some skills of calligraphy to write them properly and presentably. I was fond of writing Chinese calligraphy since I was young, but I was never professional.
Before, I would never think about hanging my handwritten couplets on the wall, yet when I saw my students wrote the characters wholeheartedly and felt content with their writing. I think I should also appreciate my handwritten work which is relatively rare in the fast-paced world.
You can start to make your Spring Couplets as well.
沒有留言:
張貼留言